Position: Associate Director to Bay Area Programs
Organization: Youth Speaks Inc.
Supervisor: Bay Area Program Director Hours Per Week: 40 hrs FTE
ABOUT YOUTH SPEAKS
Youth Speaks is a multi-faceted organization that understands that the power, insight, creativity, and passion of young people can change the world. Founded in 1996 in San Francisco, Youth Speaks is the leading nonprofit presenter of Spoken Word performance, education, and youth development programs in the country. Youth Speaks annually convenes the Brave New Voices Festival, and houses The Living Word Project, a repertory theater company. Youth Speaks currently has a staff of 17 and a fundraising target of $3,000,000 for the coming fiscal year.
The Associate Director to Bay Area Programs is a well-rounded professional with extensive experience in youth development, arts education, upper management, evaluation, fundraising, and program design. The Associate Director to Bay Area Programs has ample skills and experience as a leader, supervisor, teacher, youth mentor, organizer, and artist, in addition to possessing the administrative and communication skills necessary to play a key role in executing Youth Speaks' Bay Area programs with our myriad partners and staff. The Associate Director of Bay Area Programs will work under the direction of the Bay Area Program Director, and be responsible for supporting the administration of multiple programs within the Bay Area Program portfolio, including our High School Residency Program, After-School Workshops, Under 21-Open Mics, Outreach events, Bringing the Noise for MLK, Unified District Poetry Slam, Youth Speaks' Teen Poetry Slam and Queeriosity. Specifically, the Associate Director will support the design and implementation of the inaugural Poet Mentor Apprenticeship Program and the year-round Artist Residencies throughout Oakland Unified School District and San Francisco Unified School District in addition to contributing significantly to the strategic planning and design of the slate of Bay Area Programs for the 2014-15 Program Year.
This full-time position is based in Youth Speaks' San Francisco office and will require travel to coordinate local projects.
• Act as a thought partner for Bay Area Program Director to help design and implement a revised iteration of the integrated Bay Area Program model. To that end, communicate with partners, schools, and contracted artists in a timely, organized and professional manner.
• Support the organization of professional development and other training activities for poet mentors, youth participants and Youth Speaks staff
• Coordinate and attend meetings with community partners, participating in such meetings as relevant to the Poet Mentor Apprenticeship Program and the Residency Program
• In partnership with the Bay Area Program Director, support the fundraising strategy for Bay Area programs.
• Assist in the evaluation of impact data for Bay Area Programs
• Assist the Bay Area Program Director to manage key projects and events
• Collaborate closely with Youth Speaks' digital media and marketing staff and community partners to disseminate relevant and compelling information and opportunities about Youth Speaks' Bay Area programs to various constituents
• Facilitate meetings with community partners and other parties interested in getting to know Youth Speaks
• Analyze the impact of Bay Area programs through surveys, review of social media analytics and other tools
• Facilitate cross-program promotions to leverage Youth Speaks' full scope of programmatic activities
• Support grant writing activities for Bay Area programs
• Participate in the cultivation of individual and institutional funders
• Assist in the monitoring of program expenditures, maintaining and adhering to timelines, and fulfillment of project deliverables
• Serve as a key point person with program partners
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 10 years working in the nonprofit arts, arts education, and /or youth development fields. Strong writing and communication skills are a must, and candidates should be comfortable in the digital media world. Strong awareness and knowledge of Youth Speaks, our local programs, and the youth spoken word movement is preferred. Ability to manage budgets, programs, and other staff is necessary.
Salary and benefits:
Competitive salary, commensurate with demonstrated skills and experience. Strong benefits package.
TO APPLY – NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
Please submit resume and a thoughtful cover letter detailing your interest and experience to email@example.com with the subject line “Associate Director to Bay Area Programs.” An exceptional cover letter will outline the specific action steps you would take to achieve the ambitious goals for the position and speak to measurable indicators of your past success.
Youth Speaks is an equal opportunity employer and considers all candidates for employment regardless of race, color, sex, age, national origin, creed, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or political affiliation