Position: Grants Manager
Supervisor: Managing Director
Hours Per Week: 32 hrs/week (with full benefits package)
Organization Description: Youth Speaks is a leading nonprofit presenter of spoken word education, youth development and presentation programs in the country. Youth Speaks is based in San Francisco, CA, and provides innovative programming throughout the Bay Area, California, and the country. Youth Speaks helped mobilize, and continues to actively engage with a grassroots network of organizations that convene annually at the Brave New Voices Festival. During our 17 years of existence, we have built important relationships with local and national funders, schools, nonprofits, artists, individual supporters, health and environmental institutions, and other partners.
Job Description: We are seeking a mission-driven professional to manage our fundraising activities with foundations, government agencies and other philanthropic institutions. The Grants Manager plays an essential role in the organization to generate general operating and program/project-based support, to monitor and satisfy existing grant requirements, and to serve as a positive ambassador with funders and other community partners.
Job Responsibilities include: Grant Writing & Management
- Collaborate with program directors to create compelling grant proposals and funding requests;
- Write and assemble most or all sections of each grant proposal, with key input from program directors and other staff;
- Coordinate with relevant staff in order to solicit timely and appropriate input/review of grant proposals prior to submission deadlines;
- Review guidelines for all foundation proposals and reports to make sure all submissions are accurately formatted and include all required information, including budgets and materials;
- In cases when another staff member submits a funder report or application, provide them detailed submission instructions and assistance with final review, as needed;
- Ensure that grants and foundations database is up-to-date and accurate;
- Maintain records of all foundation interactions e.g. grant agreements, report requirements or documentation of calls and meetings;
- Process grant agreements and acknowledge all gifts from foundations on a timely basis;
- Conduct targeted research to identify new institutional funders and help to develop strategies for cultivation and solicitation;
- Grow the existing portfolio of funders to ensure that Youth Speaks maintains a diverse portfolio of funders to mitigate against over-dependency on certain funders, and to fully support Youth Speaks’ expanding programs;
- Represent Youth Speaks at local and regional nonprofit business development events;
- Present grant-related fundraising updates to Youth Speaks’ staff and Board of Directors;
- Support general fundraising activities, as needed;
- Support program staff by attending and assisting at local Youth Speaks events;
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Minimum 5 years professional experience in nonprofit development field
- Minimum 3-4 years experience with proposal writing and grants management (gained in a nonprofit or academic environment)
- Demonstrated success in securing institutional gifts
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills
- Strong computer skills (Word, PowerPoint and Excel) and ability to independently compose donor letters and email communications
- Experience with prospect research for institutional giving
- Strong proofreading skills and good attention to detail
- Experience with basic project management and workflow re-design
- Database experience, preferably Salesforce CRM
- Ability to create program budgets for grant applications strongly desired
- Ability to make clear and compelling presentations to staff and Board
- Knowledge of local, regional and national funders in Youth Speaks’ program areas, desired
- Position involves lifting, carrying, and walking up stairs
Benefits: This is a part-time position with a benefits package that includes health and dental benefits and vacation/holiday/sick pay.
EEO/AA: Youth Speaks is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical conditions. Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org by no later June 30, 2013. In subject line, please write: Grants Manager. No calls please!