Writers in the Schools
A Leadership Cohort Organization
Since 1983, Writers in the Schools (WITS) has worked hand-in-hand with educators and professional writers to teach students the craft of writing. WITS is transforming the hearts and minds of young people all over Houston.
WITS revolutionizes the way reading and writing are taught, nurturing the growth of the imagination and awakening students to the adventures of language.
- Every child deserves a holistic education that encourages critical thinking, creativity, and personal responsibility.
- Writing is an art that must be practiced and developed over time.
- Low-income students can thrive and grow through high-quality art education programs.
- The relationship between the WITS writer and the classroom teacher is a partnership.
- WITS supports classroom teachers as they adopt new approaches to teaching creative writing.
- WITS writers reflect Houston’s diversity to meet the needs of the community.
- Everyone has a personal story to tell. WITS provides opportunities for storytelling and the skills needed to do it well.