Position: Development Associate
Supervisor: Managing Director
Hours Per Week: 32 hrs/week (with full benefits package)
Organization Description: Youth Speaks is a leading nonprofit presenter of spoken word education, youth development and presentation programs in the country. Youth Speaks is based in San Francisco, CA, and provides innovative programming throughout the Bay Area, California, and the country. Youth Speaks helped mobilize, and continues to actively engage with a grassroots network of organizations that convene annually at the Brave New Voices Festival. During our 17 years of existence, we have built important relationships with local and national funders, schools, nonprofits, artists, individual supporters, health and environmental institutions, and other partners.
Job Description: The Development Associate is responsible for supporting fundraising operations for Youth Speaks. We’re seeking a detail-oriented, self-directed professional committed to playing a key role in Youth Speaks’ fundraising activities, primarily with individuals, but also including corporate sponsors and foundations. Key activities include sending donor acknowledgements and other related materials, maintaining Youth Speaks’ donor database and online fundraising portal, managing preparations for special fundraising events and donor meetings, collaborating with program staff to maximize donor attendance at Youth Speaks events, generating reports for staff and Board, and conducting donor research.
Job Responsibilities include:
- Manage donor database and donor acknowledgement process
- Maintain SalesForce database integrity and accuracy. Assist with preparation of donor/prospect profiles maintaining confidentiality. Run donor reports as assigned. Work with development and accounting staff to ensure consistency between the donor and accounting systems
- Serve as the primary contact for database troubleshooting and maintenance.
- Assist with tracking development-related expenses for the purposes of annual budgeting and periodic financial reports
- Develop and maintain Youth Speaks’ online fundraising portal
- Coordinate Youth Speaks’ annual Friendraiser event, and other smaller special events, under the direction of Development leadership
- Provide support to committees and volunteers as needed for special events or other development activities
- Coordinate the logistics for special events, including vendor arrangements, entertainment (youth poets and other performers), registration process and day-of-event logistics with venues.
- Assist with finalizing guest lists, invitations, and other event-related mailings
- Oversee the recruitment and coordination of all development related volunteers
Mailings, Appeals and Collateral Materials:
- Coordinate the mailing of fundraising appeals and annual report, including appeal coordination, and printing
- Assist as needed with the development of collateral or promotional materials
- Support gift acknowledgement in organization publications, including annual report
Other Development Activities:
- Assist in general office and administrative duties, including responding to phone inquiries
- Provide support to organizational public relations and marketing efforts
- Assist in the development of an annual individual donor fundraising calendar, and maintain/update this calendar as needed
- Support the Grants Manager in the development of grant proposals as appropriate
- Assist in scheduling and preparing site visits from current and prospective funders
- Assist in prospecting and researching new donors, including individuals, foundations, and corporations
- Assist development team staff and the Executive Director, in planning and coordinating development-related travel
- Collaborate with social media and web development staff to generate donor-relevant communications
Qualifications: Youth Speaks has a small development department. It is critical that the Development Associate be willing to jump in and learn quickly. The ideal candidate must have the ability to maintain confidentiality, be solicitous, have a diplomatic attitude, and have a strong interest and appreciation for Youth Speaks’ programs.
This individual must be able to work well under pressure and have a demonstrated exceptional ability to pay attention to details. We’re looking for someone with great organizational skills, excellent customer service and communication skills, and experience using online fundraising software and SalesForce is highly desired.
- Minimum 2 years professional experience in nonprofit development field
- Minimum 1-2 years experience working in a development department, ideally with mid-sized to large nonprofit that has a focus in the arts, youth development, education or another related field to Youth Speaks’ programming
- Demonstrated success in playing a support role in securing institutional gifts
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills
- Strong computer skills (Word, PowerPoint and Excel) and ability to independently compose donor letters and email communications
- Experience with donor prospect research for institutional giving is a plus
- Experience with grantwriting, or supporting the efforts of a grantwriter is a plus
- Strong proofreading skills and good attention to detail
- Experience with basic project management and workflow re-design
- Database experience, preferably Salesforce CRM
- Ability to make clear and compelling presentations to staff and Board
- Position may involve lifting, carrying, and walking up stairs
Benefits: This is a non-exempt part-time position with a benefits package that includes health and dental benefits and vacation/holiday/sick pay.
Youth Speaks is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical conditions. Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org by 9/20/13. In subject line, please write: Development Associate. No calls please! Thank you for your interest in Youth Speaks and this position.