Position: Grants Manager
Organization: Youth Speaks, Inc.
Supervisor: Director of Development
Hours Per Week: 40 hrs/week
Youth Speaks is a dynamic organization that understands that the power, insight, creativity, and passion of young people can change the world. Founded in 1996 in San Francisco, Youth Speaks is the leading nonprofit presenter of Spoken Word performance, education, and youth development programs in the country. Among many local programs, Youth Speaks annually convenes the Brave New Voices Festival and houses a groundbreaking theater program for emerging artists and other professionals. Youth Speaks currently has a staff of 25 and a budget of $4.2M.
We are seeking a mission-driven professional to manage our fundraising activities with foundations, government agencies and other philanthropic institutions. The Grants Manager plays an essential role in the organization to generate general operating and program/project-based support, to monitor and satisfy existing grant requirements, and to serve as a positive ambassador with funders and other community partners.
Job Responsibilities include:
Grant Writing & Management:
• Collaborate with program directors to create compelling grant proposals and funding requests;
• Write and assemble most or all sections of each grant proposal, with key input from program directors and other staff;
• Coordinate with relevant staff in order to solicit timely and appropriate input/review of grant proposals prior to submission deadlines;
• Review guidelines for all foundation proposals and reports to make sure all submissions are accurately formatted and include all required information, including budgets and materials;
• In cases when another staff member submits a funder report or application, provide them detailed submission instructions and assistance with final review, as needed;
• Ensure that grants and foundations database is up-to-date and accurate;
• Maintain records of all foundation interactions e.g. grant agreements, report requirements or documentation of calls and meetings;
• Process grant agreements and acknowledge all gifts from foundations on a timely basis;
• Conduct targeted research to identify new institutional funders and help to develop strategies for cultivation and solicitation;
• Grow the existing portfolio of funders to ensure that Youth Speaks maintains a diverse portfolio of funders to mitigate against over-dependency on certain funders, and to fully support Youth Speaks’ expanding programs;
• Represent Youth Speaks at local and regional nonprofit business development events;
• Present grant-related fundraising updates to Youth Speaks’ staff and Board of Directors;
• Support general fundraising activities, as needed;
• Support program staff by attending and assisting at local Youth Speaks events;
• Perform other duties as assigned
• Minimum 5 years professional experience in nonprofit development field
• Minimum 3-4 years experience with proposal writing and grants management (gained in a nonprofit or academic environment)
• Demonstrated success in securing institutional gifts
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills
• Strong computer skills (Word, PowerPoint and Excel) and ability to independently compose donor letters and email communications
• Experience with prospect research for institutional giving
• Strong proofreading skills and good attention to detail
• Experience with basic project management and workflow re-design
• Database experience, preferably Salesforce CRM
• Ability to create program budgets for grant applications strongly desired
• Ability to make clear and compelling presentations to staff and Board
• Knowledge of local, regional and national funders in Youth Speaks’ program areas, desired
This is an exempt, full-time position with a benefits package that includes health and dental benefits and vacation/holiday/sick pay. Youth Speaks is committed to making sure that all employees are given sufficient, ongoing training to assure that the work produced is of the highest quality. We encourage staff to pursue professional development opportunities which may receive support.
Compensation commensurate with experience.
Youth Speaks is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical conditions. Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
Youth Speaks will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.
Please send cover letter, resume, writing sample, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than May 15, 2015. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. In subject line, please write: Grants Manager. No calls please!