Share Your Story
If you have a story of when you were harassed, profiled, or your life was threatened by law enforcement:
1. Please record yourself on your phone or a simple camera
2. Upload that video to YouTube
3. Fill out the form below
4. Share your story with us
How do I get started?
We recommend looking at the infographics and articles and watching the interviews and other videos on our site for inspiration and information. We are looking for you to tell your story in your words. There is no requirement for these words to rhyme or be poetic in any way. We are most interested in your personal narrative about a specific encounter with police or law enforcement.
I don’t have a camera. How can I make a video?
For this stage of the project, we are requiring a video upload. If you don’t know anyone with a webcam or camera phone you can use, you might be able to use a computer with a camera at a local school or library. After-school programs and youth centers might provide access to a webcam or an adult with a camera phone, as well. If you live near a Brave New Voices partner, you could get access to a camera. If all of these things fail, ask someone to hold a smart phone and record yourself telling your story.
Can I use profanity?
We do not want to censor you. However, please note that pieces without profanity have a much better chance of being featured in schools, on the radio, and on a wider variety of platforms. Use the words you need, but to get your voice heard by the most people, we encourage you to be smart about the words you use in your pieces. Hate speech for hate speech sake will not be allowed on the website.
I want to write a poem or a rap. Can I?
Of course. We want your story, however you want to share it.
• Do film your video against a solid background if possible.
• Do keep your entire piece under four minutes.
• Do eliminate or limit background noise. We want to hear your story loud and clear.
• Do make sure your video has good lighting. We want to see you in this conversation.
• If using a cell phone to record your video, do put it on airplane mode. If using another camera to record, do turn your cell phone off. Otherwise, your cell phone will interfere with the sound quality.
• Don’t use any music or sound effects other than your own voice.
• Do upload your video to YouTube and submit by entering the url into the form.
Should you choose to perform a poem or rap as an individual or group:
• Do keep your entire piece under three minutes
• Use original music and film the video as you choose
• Do upload your video to YouTube and submit by entering the url into the form. Only upload the video once under one YouTube account.
• Selected pieces may become official components of the campaign and performers may earn additional performance and presentation opportunities based on the quality each submission
*How to upload a video to YouTube from webcam
*How to upload a video to YouTube from a mobile device