What is SPOKES?
SPOKES is the Youth Speaks’ youth advisory board. SPOKES is in charge of various projects such as running the Under 21 Open Mics, helping facilitate the Teen Poetry Slam, getting mentorship with staff, learning how to lead workshops, and more. Along with all these amazing opportunities, SPOKES members receive a yearly stipend as part of their paid internship.
Eligibility for Applicants:
- Must be 13-19. If you’re 18, you are only eligible to be on SPOKES for a maximum of 2 years. By the time you’re 21, you should be able to move on to be a Youth Speaks poet-mentor.
- If you are in High School, you are allowed to be on SPOKES for a maximum of 3 years, plus 1 possible extra year after you graduate.
- Must be willing to commit to regular Youth Speaks events, monthly Spokes meetings, two open mic’s per month, workshops, and additional events that arise throughout the year.
- Must be dope.
- Send in a copy of this application by Friday, May 17th to Erika Céspedes at firstname.lastname@example.org
- You will then receive word if you are asked to come in for an interview, which will take place the week of May 27th-31st at the Youth Speaks office. You will be interviewed by current SPOKES members and a staff member.
- Please bring a writing sample printed and ready to perform. If you can, bring 4 copies. We can also copy it for you if you bring 1 in.