Estria Invitational Graffiti Battle
The Estria Invitational Graffiti Battle (EIGB)
We partnered with Samurai Graphix / Estria to curate 20 visual artists into a public outdoor installation. Each artist was given a 6X8 foot canvas, biodegradable materials, and non-aerosol, non-toxic paint to create environmentally themed, graffiti style tags around the park.
Initially, each artist painted the word “LIFE”, and we then hang their murals in 20 different locations around the host city, hoping to catalyze deeper thought and community action around the value of life in communities experiencing record homicide rates. The ensuing campaign visually affirms local sustainability, and was named “LIFE is Living.”
The same process was then replicated in other cities, with different key words, such as: Earth, Grow & Heal.
The Estria Invitational Graffiti Battle (EIGB) is a national, traveling, one-day, urban art competition that honors and advances creativity in the Hip Hop arts. The EIGB encourages participants to find new ways of communicating about social issues.
Overall Goals of EIGB:
- To promote contemporary, public, visual art as a positive alternative for youth from the hardships of city life
- To build community among hip-hop enthusiasts, and to build relationships between practitioners and fans across the US
- To help the general public understand graffiti as a subculture and raise awareness of graffiti as an art form
- To generate excitement and inspiration within the urban art subculture
- To showcase the many different crews and styles each city offers
- To promote originality and creativity through visual arts
- To promote gender, sexual, racial and class equality in hip-hop and the visual arts
Criteria Used in Selection of Artists:
- Rocks both letters & characters, solid production artist
- Originality of style
- Respected as a leader of a style
- Represents for that city or the surrounding region
- Cool attitude, will not have beef at the battle
*We intend to rep for different crews during the battles to showcase the many different styles. This means that ideally we will only have one person rep for a crew in one battle. We also want to showcase writers from the ’70s, ’80s, ’90s, and 2000s.
Estria has been spray painting for over 26 years, and is recognized around the world as a graffiti living legend, valued historian, and leader on graffiti’s social and political impact. Hailing from San Francisco’s “Golden Age” of graffiti in the 80’s, Estria is a pioneer in painting techniques, and the originator of the stencil tip. Through graffiti Estria has become an educator, entrepreneur, and social activist, working with numerous non-profits, and high profile corporations. In 2007, Estria founded the “Estria Invitational Graffiti Battle”, a nationwide urban art competition that honors and advances creativity in the Hip Hop arts. Originally from Hawaii, Estria has called the Bay Area home for half of his life. His murals are known to be whimsical, cultural, political, and vibrant, with a focus and dedication to uplift the communities they serve.
mentions use #estriabattle
PR Contact: email@example.com