Institute for Emerging Organizations
In 2017, Youth Speaks presented a unique opportunity for leaders in the Brave New Voices Network to participate in a 7-month Institute designed specifically to support the growth of emerging organizations. Selected participants received training and professional development to help them grow as leaders in the field while also boosting the capacity of their organizations.
This Institute is a new element of Youth Speaks’ larger BNV Network initiative to build a sustainable field of nonprofit organizations and programs throughout the United States that intersect arts education and youth development practices with a deep focus on long-term civic engagement and public presentation.
- January 24 - 25, 2017: Two-day Intensive presented in Houston, Texas
- March - June: Ongoing virtual trainings and peer conversations
- July 18, 2017: One-day Intensive presented in the San Francisco Bay Area preceding the 20th Annual Brave New Voices Festival
Participant Fee: $250
- Includes program registration as well as roundtrip travel to Houston and room and board for the January Intensive. Note: The Participant Fee does not include travel or lodging to San Francisco for BNV 2017.
The Institute for Emerging Organizations is an opportunity for Youth Speaks to invest in the capacity of small, emerging organizations that lack access to resources needed to grow and sustain.
Just as the Brave New Voices Festival unites youth poets from all corners of the country (and the world), this Institute aims to bring together diverse leaders with like-minded missions and goals. Selected participants will represent organizations that highlight the full spectrum of the field, spanning a wide range of geographic locations, populations served, and scopes of programming.
Participants will be engaged in training and professional development activities from January through July 2017, both in person and virtually. These activities will be customized to support the professional needs and interests of the group of selected participants and will focus on developing participants’ skills in five core competency areas: Leadership, Marketing & Communications, Programming, Fundraising, and Finance & Operations.
- Dare Dukes from Deep Center in Savannah, GA
- Franklin Cruz from Minor Disturbance in Denver, CO
- Nicole Harris from 'Canes on Da Mic in Gainesville, FL
- Jason Carney from Young DFW Writers in Keller, TX
- Javier Perez from CYPHER in Capetown, South Africa
- Jonathan Perkins from Fountain City Teen Poetry Slam in Columbus, GA
- Natasha Thomas-Jackson from Raise It Up! Youth Arts & Awareness in Flint, MI
- John Paul Taylor from Real Life Poets in Birmingham, AL
- Sarah Gonzales from Spoken Futures in Tuscon, AZ
- Susan Colangelo from Saint Louis Story Stitchers Artists Collective in St. Louis, MO
- Tonya Smart from Jax Youth Poetry Slam in Jacksonville, FL
- Deirdre Love from Teens With A Purpose - The Youth Movement in Norfolk, VA
- Unique Robinson from Dew More Baltimore in Baltimore, MD
- Evander Wilson from ProvSlam in Providence, RI
For questions, please email Cassie Newman at firstname.lastname@example.org.